Chilaquiles in Rojos Sauce - Vegetarian Recipe
Updated: Apr 30, 2020
Cooking meatless does not have to be hard.
Who doesn't love warm crispy tortilla chips smothered in a warm rich and earthy sauce? This is a very quick and dirty recipe which you can make with jarred salsa. Note, it is also a gluten free recipe.
Feel free to substitute your favorite jarred or fresh salsa's in this recipe.
"Chilaquiles brings me back to a trip to Mexico where I had them for breakfast every morning."
· 1 TB coconut oil
· ½ cup smoky peach salsa, I use Trader Joe's salsa in a jar
· ½ cup roasted salsa, , I use Trader Joe's salsa in a jar
· ½ tsp corn starch, to thicken sauce
· 2 eggs, scrambled
· ½ bag of tortilla chips
· ½ cup black olives, sliced
· 4 TB cooked black beans
· ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
· dollop of sour cream, topping
Quick Chilaquiles Sauce:
1. Heat oil in a cast iron skillet over a medium heat.
2. Add corn starch to oil and whisk until a rue.
3. Add both salsas and stir continuously. Cook on low heat until sauce has thickened and then take off heat.
1. Crack and scramble two eggs in a bowl, add a pinch of salt.
2. Add eggs to oiled non-stick pan.
3. Cook until done.
1. Place chips on baking sheet and sprinkle the beans, olives and cheese on top.
2. Bake at 400° F for 5-10 mins, until cheese is melted, and chips are warmed through.
3. Take out of oven, place on plate and drizzle with sauce.
4. Finish with a dollop of sour cream on top.