Mexican Tortilla Soup - Gluten Free, Vegan Recipe
Updated: Nov 15, 2020
I have always wanted to try and make my own vegetarian tortilla soup. So here it goes...
I needed to create an umami flavor without the use of chicken broth. I decided to use a combination of roasted peppers and spices to create that deep flavor profile.
I started by roasting a guajillo chili pepper in a cast iron pan. I then added the jalapeno and onion to char as well. The flavors started to fill the kitchen with a smoky scent.
"Tortilla soup is a great way to satisfy your tastebuds. It has a hint of spice, earthiness, and sweetness with the cooling creaminess of avocado on top."
· 1 TBS coconut oil·
· 1 onion, your choice, quartered
· 1 jar roasted red peppers, drained, chopped
· 1 jalapeno, sliced in half lengthwise (de-seed and de-vein if you do not want a spicy soup)
· 2 guajillo peppers, dried (de-seed if you do not want a spicy soup)
· 1 tsp tamari (or soy sauce)
· 1 can black beans, rinse and drained (15 ounce)
· 1 cup corn, frozen or fresh
· 2 corn tortillas, chopped into small pieces (makes it easier to blend later)
· 1 handful tortilla strips, as garnish
· 1 carrot, diced
· 1 can roasted tomatoes, diced (14.5 ounce)
· 2 veggie bouillon cubes
· 2 tsp raw cacao powder
· 1 tsp cumin
· Salt to taste
Cast Iron Skillet:
1. In a cast iron skillet on medium heat, add guajillo, jalapeno and onion. Cook for 10 minutes. Flip occasionally. Onions and jalapenos should begin to char.
2. Add 1 cup water to the skillet, and simmer for another 10 minutes. Flip guajillos at 5 minutes. Then turn off stove.
3. In a soup pot add oil, carrots, tomatoes and roasted red peppers. Saute until carrots are soft.
4. Add cumin and cacao powder, stirring into mixture. Cook for 3 minutes so spices begin to cook.
5. Add 3 cups water and stir.
6. Add tortillas, bouillon cubes and tamari. Cook until tortillas are soft, approximately 10 minutes.
7. Turn stove off.
8. Add guajillo, jalapeno and onion mixture to soup pot. Then add soup mixture to blender in small batches. Be careful as soup is hot. Blend until smooth.
9. Add blended soup back into soup pot. Stir.
10. Finally add corn, beans, and salt to taste. Stir. Wait 5 minutes.
11. Ladle soup into a bowl and garnish with avocado sliced and tortilla strips.
12. Optional: If super spicy due to hot peppers, add a dollop of sour cream.