Tostada Bowl Salad - Vegetarian Gluten Free Recipe
Updated: Nov 19, 2020
Who doesn't love a meal with an edible bowl?? Try this gluten free allergy friendly recipe.
This recipe has a few steps, but once you have made the bean dip, fajita mix and salsa, it is very simple to assemble.
"Tostada salads are healthy, but make you feel like you are treating yourself to something delectable and bad."
· 4 TBS smoky bean dip
· ½ cup bell pepper, any color, julienned
· 1 handful of lettuce, romaine, chopped
· 1 TBS cheddar cheese, or other non-dairy cheese, shredded
· 2 - 3 TBS salsa of choice
· 1 tortilla, or wrap, gluten free
· 1 TBS sour cream, or non-dairy sour cream
· 1 TBS guacamole, optional Smoky Bean Dip · 1 TBS coconut oil
· ½ large red onion, diced
· 1 small garlic clove, minced
· 1 can black beans, 15 oz, rinsed and strained
· ¾ TBS smoked paprika
· 1 TBS honey
· ¼ tsp salt
· ¼ cup water
1. Use a knife to cut a few slices in tortilla for air to circulate (this keeps tortilla from puffing up).
2. Place tortilla in tostada baking tins (can purchase online).
3. Bake at 400 F until tortilla is cooked and crunchy. Remove from oven and let tortilla cool in tin and harden into shell shape.
Smoky Bean Dip: 1. On a medium heat, add oil and onions, sauté until onions are translucent.
2. Add beans, paprika, garlic and honey. Stir.
3. Add salt and water. Stir.
4. Once cooked through, remove from heat, add mixture to a blender. Blend until smooth, looking for a refried bean consistency.
Assemble Tostada Salad:
1. Remove tortilla from tin. Place a drop of bean dip on plate and place tortilla on dip so it doesn’t move on plate.
2. Layer ingredients in this order: beans, lettuce, bell peppers, cheese, salsa and a dollop of sour cream and guacamole.