Veggie Soup with Turmeric Root & Beyond Meat HOT Italian Sausage - Vegan Plant-based Recipe
Updated: Apr 30, 2020
Plant based cooking has many different connotations. This gluten free vegan soup is a great recipe to try.
It was a rainy day and I was craving a cozy soup. I had some turmeric root and decided to try inventing a new soup with this root.
Turmeric is known for its anti-inflammatory properties, it can relieve pain, it can improve liver function, and even aid your digestion. I thought, well HELLO...let's cook it.
Be careful when chopping the turmeric root. It stains your cutting boar, your fingers and anything else it touches. I suggest placing a paper towel on the cutting board and using a fork and knife to cut the turmeric so your hands don't get dyed orange.
"The spiciness from the plant-based sausage and the earthiness from the turmeric broth bring coziness and warmth to your stomach and soul."
A little goes a long way. I store my turmeric in the freezer to keep it fresh. I cut the root into 1/4 inch thick pieces and then place the extra in a ziplock bag or container in my freezer for future use.
I love these Rapunzel Vegetable Bouillon broth cubes. I used to buy them at Whole Foods any any Healthfood store. Sadly they are no longer available at these stores, and I have to buy them online.
· 1 TBS coconut oil
· 3 (¼ inch) pieces of turmeric root, can keep peel on
· ½ onion, diced
· 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
· 1 Beyond HOT Italian Sausage, cut into ¼ inch thick slices
· ½ jalapeño, diced
· ½ cup corn, fresh or frozen
· 1 carrot, chopped
· ¼ cabbage, chopped into ½ inch pieces
· 3 stalks of broccoli, chopped into bite size florets
· ½ bell pepper, any color
· 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
· 1 TBS Honey
· 2 cups water
· salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat oil in a stockpot over medium-to-high heat.
2. Add onion and cook, stirring, until fragrant and translucent, about 2 minutes.
3. Add all vegetables, sauté until tender.
4. Add garlic. Turn the heat down to low. Stir frequently making sure the garlic does not burn.
5. Add sausage.
6. Add bouillon cubes, honey and water. Stir.
7. Cook on low for about 20 – 30 minutes, until veggies are tender and cooked through.
8. Serve in a bowl. Salt and pepper to taste.